Surgical Registrar - starting ASAP
About usHome to the NZ government; a cultural epicentre of New Zealand, renowned for its cafes, nightlife, restaurants, harbour and proximity to vineyards, with a vibrant city life, host to numerous cultural events. It consistently scores globally as a popular city and has recently been named as the world’s most liveable city. Join our fellow 480 Resident Medical Officers across the Wellington region to gain leading experience, medical supervision and training.
About our opportunities
- Permanent Surgical Registrar position starting ASAP
- Initial allocation from December 2017 to June 2018 in General Surgery Relief, based at Hutt Valley Hospital
- Role suitable for PGY5 or above, who has had at least 2 years experience as a Surgical Registrar in General Surgery, and with some experience in Plastics and Orthopaedics
- Allocation from June 2018 onwards to be confirmed
This is a Permanent rotating Surgical Registrar position. The successful incumbent will be allocated to Hutt Valley Hospital from December 2017 to June 2018 as a General Surgery Reliever. This position will cover General Surgery during the day, and when on nights will be required to cover General Surgery, Plastics and Orthopaedics.
Please note the Surgical Service operates across multiple hospitals, including Wellington Regional, Hutt Valley and Masterton Hospitals which means that you may rotate to these sites during your time with us. If you are successful in gaining a position, the service will do their best to accommodate all preferences you have made.
Currently across the region, we offer run allocations in Plastic Surgery, Cardiothoracic, Vascular, General Surgery, ENT, Neurosurgery, Urology and Orthopaedics. General Surgery covers Colorectal, Endocrine, Breast and Upper-Gastrointestinal surgery. Vascular includes endovascular work and kidney transplants.
Wellington Regional Hospital is a tertiary hospital with modern facilities including a Surgical Assessment and Planning Unit (SAPU) and offers exciting opportunities and top level training. Kenepuru Community Hospital provides predominantly secondary services catering to the communities north of Wellington, including Porirua and Kapiti.
HUTT VALLEY HOSPITAL
Hutt Hospital provides specialist regional services in plastic and maxillofacial surgery. The Hospital employs approximately 1500 staff and currently has around 270 beds with plans to increase this further. The surgical allocation is split between 27 general surgical and gynaecology beds, 22 orthopaedic and 27 plastic surgery beds.
Masterton Hospital provides regional support to the Wairarapa District. There are a great mix of cases presented to Masterton hospital as its surrounded by farmland. This will mean that you will get exposure to both rural and general patients. Incumbents will comparatively receive more one-on-one time with consultants and therefore experience more opportunities to perform procedures.
Experience and Eligibility
- Suitable for Resident Medical Officers who will be PGY5+ or above by the role commencement date
- You will have eligibility for general or provisional general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand. Information on the process of application for this can be found on their website at http://www.mcnz.org.nz/.
- You will need to be a NZ or Australian citizen or resident, or have an appropriate visa to be eligible to live and work in NZ. The immigration NZ website can be found at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/.
How to apply?If you wish to express your interest and you meet the criteria above, then please click the 'Apply Now' button below
Upon application you will need to provide:
- Electronic copies of your CV and cover letter. Emailed applications will not be accepted.
- Contact details for three consultants as referees that have supervised your day-to-day clinical work, one must be from your current or most recent employer.
Job no: RDI_005a_17
Location: Wairarapa, Wellington Hospital, Hutt Valley
Closing Date: Sunday, 25 February 2018